A customer tells his current sales rep that another vendor offered him a better contract for the same price. The customer threatens to switch to the other vendor unless the sales rep makes a better counteroffer. What should the rep do first?
- Tell him the company is always improving its services and ask him to reconsider switching
- Promise to call him back, and then discuss the situation with a manager
- Promise not to raise the price of his service in the future if he stays
- Tell him that vendors often raise their prices after convincing customers to switch
- Thank him for his transparency and ask how the other vendor’s offer is better
- Ask how much of a price reduction would convince him to stay